Location: Toronto, ON. This will be a hybrid position and will include a mix of in-person and online work.
Duration: A 4-month contract from June 1st to September 30th, 2023
Number of Open Positions: 1
Who We Are
StopGap Foundation raises awareness about the importance of accessibility and works towards creating a country where every person can access every space. Through StopGap’s programming, single-stepped locations are provided with brightly painted, custom, deployable access ramps to help eliminate barriers in the built environment and create inclusive spaces we can all live, work, learn, and play in. StopGap’s ramps provide increased access for everyone, including wheelchair and mobility device users, parents pushing strollers, delivery people, and the elderly – a fantastic example of good universal design. These brightly coloured ramps also invite people to think and talk about accessibility in fun and innovative ways resulting in greater societal awareness about this important issue.
Since the first StopGap ramp landed in front of a Toronto neighbourhood business in October 2011, StopGap Foundation has grown from a local volunteer-run ad hoc initiative into an award-winning nationally-recognized registered charitable organization with a small but mighty team of paid staff.
Description of Responsibilities
1. Social Media and Communications: Creating and posting content for StopGap’s social media channels (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and occasionally LinkedIn).
2. Ramp Repainting: Managing a ramp repainting program which involves: coordinating ramp pick-up and drop-off between StopGap volunteers and ramp owners; and re-painting existing StopGap ramps.
3. Corporate Team Building Paint Days/Volunteer Paint Days: Helping to set up the ramps, paint and other materials at the start of a Paint Day; providing instruction and assistance in painting and stenciling ramps for the Paint Day participants; ensuring quality control of painted ramps; and assisting with clean up.
4. Ramp Deliveries: Assisting volunteers with loading ramps into a vehicle and delivering to locations around the City of Toronto.
Your Skills, Strengths, and Interests
1. You are passionate about accessibility and barrier-free design.
2. You are organized and have excellent attention to detail.
3. You have great written and verbal communication skills.
4. You have a good knowledge of Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and other social media best practices. Experience in managing and posting social content for a business or brand is an asset.
5. You have a good knowledge of using software such as Google Suite programs (Docs, Drives, Sheets, Slides).
6. You are self-directed and have no problem working under minimal supervision.
7. You are comfortable with and enjoy hands-on work, such as activities noted above in the Ramp Prep, Paint Days and Ramp Deliveries sections.
1. Access to a laptop.
2. Access to a smartphone with a working camera or a digital camera.
3. Comfortable lifting up to 50 lbs (larger ramps, buckets of paint, etc.).
4. (of value but not a requirement) A valid G license and comfortable driving around the city.
Why Work With Us
This is your opportunity to join an innovative, fun, and public-facing organization, led by a visionary and creative team. You will have access to the beautiful office space and network at the Centre for Social Innovation, of which StopGap Foundation is a member. We offer a competitive hourly rate of $25/hr and working hours can be negotiated from 32.5 to 40 hours per week.
To learn more about our company and leadership team, please visit our Who We Are page.
How to Apply
Thank you for considering this role. If you would like to apply, please send your resume to our Engagement Coordinator, email@example.com, with the email subject line “StopGap Summer 2023 Job Application” along with a note about why you might be a good fit for our team. PDFs, Google Docs, and Word docs are accepted file types.
Applications will be open from April 28th to May 12th, 2023.
Interviews will be held on a rolling basis between May 12th to May 19th.
StopGap Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage applicants with disabilities, and of all genders, racial, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, sexual orientations, and with a range of life experiences to apply. If you require any accessibility accommodations, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs. StopGap Foundation would like to thank all those that apply, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.